November 17, 2013

pack your bags
NEW YORK, NEW YORK 
by Emily Jane


This past October, my husband Alex and I celebrated our 3rd Wedding Anniversary. We decided to make it special by visiting New York City. I had visited with my family as a kid a couple of times and when I was in college to interview for a job. However, my husband had never been until this year with his new job. Since he had only seen the business side of the city, we thought it would be fun to enjoy a long weekend enjoying the sights and sounds, catching a Broadway show and eating delicious food.

Granted, New York City, isn't the kind of place you go to rest and relax. However, this time we only had 3 things planned. Dinner reservations before our Broadway show to celebrate our anniversary and visiting the 9/11 Memorial. Everything else was up in the air, which is a first for us, and certainly for me, since I am the planner for all of our vacations.

I wanted Alex's first Broadway show to be special and memorable. He would much rather go watch a hockey game, but he is a great husband and trusts my judgement. (Ask him about seeing a Celine Dion concert.) My show of choice was to see "The Phantom of the Opera". "The Phantom" is a family favorite, with love, mystery and murder. The music and effects are out of this world.


As the first song of the show began (for those of you who have seen the show, know what I am talking about) I looked over at Alex and he had a huge smile on his face. I was excited that he had the reaction I was hoping for, because you just never know. 

We also went to see "Once." It was a recommendation of Alex's boss. I personally had never heard of the musical, but all he had to say was that it was set in Dublin, Ireland and I was sold. We decided on a whim to purchase the tickets and we did not regret it one bit. It is set in Ireland and about Irish love, but it is also about taking chances and pursuing your dreams. ahem! Couldn't have been more perfect of a show for me. If you get the opportunity to see the show, go see it! It isn't your typical Broadway Show. It is so clever, intimate and simple. It will make you laugh and cry, but all the while giving you a little something to hold on to as you leave the theatre.



No comments:

Post a Comment