September 12, 2013

show & tell
THE ART OF LETTERPRESS PRINTING
by Emily Jane



After my husband and I decided to relocate to Pennsylvania to pursue a new career opportunity for him we also decided that I would begin to pursue my dream of owning my own business in stationery design. As with anything, a good network, is very important.

One of the first people I reached out to when I arrived in Pennsylvania, was Kseniya Thomas at Thomas-Printers. She owns and runs her own letterpress print shop out of Carlisle, Pennsylvania. She graciously invited me to her studio, so that we could meet and discuss letterpress printing. Since I do not personally own a letterpress printer, it was important to find a printer that I could trust to do high quality of work.

This past week, I drove up to Carlisle to see my business cards for Dorothy Jane printed by Thomas-Printers. Letterpress printing is expensive, but for a reason. Everything is done by hand. The inks are perfectly hand mixed. Each piece of paper is hand fed in to the machine, which might I add is very large and fast. I was in awe of the process and have a new and true appreciation of the art of letterpress printing. Not to mention, I was excited to see my business cards come to life.

Inks are mixed by hand.

Paper is hand fed in to the printer.

 The printer moves fast so you need to be quick and alert.

 Cards are printed and ready to be trimmed.

The final product.

Choosing to letterpress print my business cards was definitely an investment I was willing to make into my business and my brand. The cards were printed on Crane's Lettra Fluorescent White double thick paper. When I hand my business card to a potential client, it represents my style and my taste. I want them to know that they will receive a high end design with quality craftsmanship from me. Only the best for my clients.


2 comments:

  1. I took a class in letterpress printing and bookbinding in college, as a design elective, and it was SO cool. I can understand why my dad fell in love with printing (although I can also tell you that the modern process isn't as romantic anymore).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, this is just downright neat. Loved this post. Adore how there's true time and heart to this process--mixing the paint by hand and manually feeding the machine with paper. Takes one patient perfectionist!

    ReplyDelete